Pages

Wednesday, August 29, 2018

2D Art Week 001 - Basic Shapes Assignment

Basic Shapes Assignment

  For our first project into the wonderful world of 2D art land, we focused on breaking down forms into simple shapes. Inspiration for our work derived from the concept artist Syd Mead, whose works include that of Blade Runner and Tron. His unique technique and cyberpunk-like style really helped me see how complex shapes can be broken down into simpler elements, while still creating dynamic and interesting forms.



I chose this piece of art from Syd Mead, because it kept catching my eye as I scrubbed through potential pieces and honestly I just thought it looked neat




So starting off, I sketched the very base forms that I saw in the image, breaking down where I saw triangles meeting cubes, curves connecting in general spaces, and working sizing as best as I could, while still keeping the sketch loose and rough




After that I started blocking out lighting, mixing blacks and whites to create various tones, where there was depth, and establishing where shadows existed 




Then it was time to play with the Smudge tool ^_^ 
Utilizing this tool allowed me the blend colors and shapes where starting to take a form that wasn't solely dependent on black lines to keep its shape. I also added in a shadow




Finally, it was the clean-up stage - I went back through and added in more details that existed in the piece, and performed touch up




I honestly haven't drawn or painted in Photoshop to this level of depth in ages. It was nice to get back into that world, and I'm excited to do more!

No comments:

Post a Comment